Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tears For Fears, A Dream Come True


I've been a Tears For Fears fan since I was 9 years old. By the time I was old enough to go to a show, they had broke up.

Fast forward to the reunion, due to life, I just haven't been able to make it to a show. The last several years was spent dealing with my husband's kidney disease. He recieved a life changing transplant in January. So when I saw that Tears For Fears was coming to Fresno, three days after my 35th birthday I jumped at the chance.

I've been a Curt Smith fan since I was 9 years old. I've followed along with his blog, twitter, Facebook etc. so the chance to see him in person was great. He even threw me a Skittle or threw a Skittle at me, I choose to believe the first scenario. This came on top of him giving me a Happy birthday tweet. Thanks for putting up with me this week Curt, it was very kind of you. 

Roland was great, a true showman and artist. So much fun watching him have fun on stage. I had been upset to be in the 5th row but luck was on my side. Nobody in the front stood up! It was bizarre to go to a show and have virtually nobody in the front standing. I guess they all got their tickets free for gambling. I turned to the man behind me and said, " I have waited 26 years for this day and I am going to stand up."

It was like my own private concert at many points.Fun to be able to look Curt,Wainright and Roland in the eye.

 I am so sorry for you setlist aficionados, I didn't keep track. Here is what I do remember:
Opened with EWTRW and the encore was Shout. They played Pale Shelter, The orginal version of Mad World, Change, Badman's Song,Sowing The Seeds, Break It Down, Roland sang Falling Down, Curt sang Who You Are, Call Me Mellow,Head Over Heels.

It was a wonderful dream come true. They sounded great, their band is great, I loved Wainright on back up. Overall a great show despite poor audience interaction which wasn't TFF's fault. My husband is a bass player and enjoyed the musical aspect of the show. They are all great musicians and the sound was the best I've ever heard.