Wednesday, September 29, 2010

"It's not about me."

Phillipians 2:1-4 "Therefore if there is any encouragement in Christ, if there is any consolation of love, if there is any fellowship of the Spirit, if any affection and compassion,make my joy complete by being of the same mind, maintaining the same love, united in spirit, intent on one purpose.Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others."

  I have been meditating on this verse lately. Thinking a lot about how as a society these days, we tend to become self absorbed. We tend to think more about ourselves and our problems, than we do others and what they are facing. Problems are problems, most of the time they are not different. Sometimes they are self caused problems, things brought on by making wrong choices or poor decisions. But, sometimes they are just problems you have no control over and you didn't choose for yourself.

  I have had both kinds of problems. Living in the latter, a problem that we didn't choose for ourselves, it is different. But, something I have learned is there is always someone else who has a worse problem or situation.


 I have also learned that, it helps to not become self absorbed and focus on yourself. I get comments from friends all the time. They don't want to burden me with their problems or share things with me because they feel I have enough of my own. I actually like to pray for others and hear from my friends. I like to know what is going on in others lives, I don't like self absorbed people and don't want to be one myself. It hurts others when you only focus on yourself. I know, I have done that and it doesn't feel good. Facebook and other social networking sites seem to promote this in our society. "What is on your mind?" instead of what is everyone else doing.

  I am trying a one woman battle to combat this, I won't be a contributor to this. I got a email from someone this morning, thanking me for thinking of them when I have so much going on. It's not out of duty that I do it, I do it because I really enjoy caring for others and being a good friend. I am blessed to have many friends and family members in life and I try to be a good friend back. It is hard and I fail many times, but it takes a concious effort. I have been on the recieving end of someone being self absorbed and it doesn't feel nice at all. I never want to be that person.

 It's all about balance and trying, making the effort and gesture. Is there someone in your life, that you can reach out to today?