Wednesday, May 9, 2007

more fun kid conversations

Okay, it seems like this has been the going theme of the blog lately but I think it better than me talking about death and grief:) I guess it is the fact that my kids are older now and try to have meaningful conversations but are still young and innocent.

Here goes: Driving to the library today and we pass the town stockyard. There were cows there and

Conner says: " Hey sis, you know why those cows are in there?"

Elizabeth says :" No,why?"

Conner says: " They feed them lots of hay and fatten up and then they send them off to kill them." "Right mom!"

here we go!!! See he is the kind of kid that when he was little unless we just told him the straight fact he would ask and ask and ask 50 million questions. So we have always just been straight with him

Me: " Yes, Conner that is right"

I can't see what kind of face Elizabeth is making I think it is one of shock though.

Conner :" You see that meat we eat... Well,it is cow meat that we eat"
Elizabeth: " Oh!!!!!"
Conner: " You see we just don't call it that though. There is a polite word for it hmmm.. help me out mom what is that word??"
Me: " The word is beef Conner" Laughing

I think by this point his sister is just wanting him to shut up! but he goes on......
Conner: "Sis, do you think you are going to eat beef anymore?"
I am thinking " Oh,Crap don't go there"
Me: " Elizabeth, that is what they are here for is for us to eat and it is OK" " Conner, enough talking about it"

He gave up and we went on to another subject but it is one of those things I had to tell their dad and I asked Elizabeth to tell him tonight.

Elizabeth " Mom, I don't want to talk about it"

Okay, end of story!!!! I told him and we had a good laugh. I thought maybe you could use one too!