Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Royal wedding memories and a secret nobody knows

When I was five years old, my older sister woke me up at 3 am to watch the Royal wedding of Charles and Diana. She created a monster, I was hooked. What five year old doesn't love princesses and fairytales? it was my hobby and everyone around me fed the monster.

About 6 months later, we were at Crown Books on Whittier blvd and my parents told me to pick out a book. I went and found a huge hardcover book, Princess by Robert Lacey. It was the first of hundreds of books that I would be given or buy on Princess Di. It was more a pictorial with a bit of writing between the pictures. My favorite picture in the whole book was this


Maybe because I was the same age as the little girl in the picture? or the kindness she was showing? I just love this picture.

Flash forward 25 years and it is my own wedding day. Our flower girl Caiti didn't want to walk down the aisle the day before in rehearsal. The day of the wedding she not only walked down the aisle but sat happily on the piano throughout the service. As she came down to the end of the aisle, I was so proud of her. This wasn't planned but when I saw her coming, I knew what to do and the photographer took this picture as I greeted Caiti. My own personal memory of my wedding day, that even my husband didn't know about until he read this blog. Besides the pictures of Marty and I together, this is my most favorite picture of the whole day.


Who knew all those years later, I would have a piece of Di on my wedding day. As the wedding of William and Kate approaches, I find myself in a tizzy of excitement. I will be getting up at three am to watch live ( because watching the re-play isn't the same) and probably bawl like a baby at some point. This time, I am a mom and hope that Elizabeth will watch with me. Di may be gone, but the memories that made my childhood happy and fun remain.