Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Confessions of a Mom Cycling Fan

I didn't set out to be a cycling fan...it just happened.

I don't even own a expensive bike. I don't even cycle. I’m not a athlete or even married to a athlete. My kids aren’t athletes.

It started in 2005 with our son Conner . He became obsessed with Lance Armstrong. We watched the Tour De France together that summer, not understanding a thing about the sport. 

We decided to watch the summer after, learning a bit more. Each summer the knowledge growing and our fan status blooming. In January of 09′, our fan status changed to Super fans. The AMGEN Tour of California chose our hometown as a start. Then Lance announced his comeback.

We got up early and went to the race. We ended up at the sign in tent at the bottom of the stairs. We weren’t even prepared to get autographs but that’s what happened. We ended up not only meeting some of the largest names in cycling (some of the most controversial also) We learned who us nice, who isn’t nice and became addicts. Once you meet the riders, it becomes more real. Especially if one or another is rude or kind. We also learned, if you don’t know the riders name they will probably not sign for you. 

The next year, things became even bigger. Our town was picked as a start for the AMGEN TOC again. This time we were ready. We had tshirts,posters,sharpies and knew more riders than ever. We set out to where the team buses were parked and ended up meeting a hotel worker. He let us in the lobby and into fan nirvana. We met all if our favorites, learned a huge lesson and the obsession reached epic proportion.

Now my son and I are huge fans. We traveled this year to see start. We follow all the cyclists on Facebook and Twitter. We watch every race and speak our own nerd talk to each other. It’s been a fun experience. We get a lot of odd looks and comments. 

Especially me, its just odd for a grown woman to like cycling to some. I’m not watching to ogle or lust, I’m truly watching for sport. I decided to start a Twitter to meet other female cycling fans. I know they are out there and I needed to know I am not alone.

It's a great hobby to share with Conner. We have shared so many fun times watching cycling together. It's nice to have a common bond. I know that I will look back on these years fondly when he is grown someday.

A/N I ended up meeting some of the nicest people through this experiment. I have made so many wonderful friends. Found out that I am not alone in my love of cycling and have become a even bigger fan! We are looking forward to meeting some of our friends in the near future