Friday, June 24, 2011

The Mother Daughter Book Club

Elizabeth loves to read, a trait inherited from her Mom and Grandpa. She flies through books and always wants to go to the library.

I love wandering through the library with her. Running her finger down the shelves, scanning for new and exciting books. She has a certain silly girl genre she likes. Think Junie B. Jonesesque but for bigger girls. Humor is her favorite.

When I was her age, I fell in love with a book. The character became my favorite of all time.  Anne of Green Gables changed the way I read books forever. Her spunk, wit, and determination struck a cord with me.

Naturally, I've been waiting for the day Elizabeth would read the series. I have several copies and even a e-book for her. Once she hit the reading level, I tried to get her to read them and.......she refused.

She has no interest if desire to read Anne. She is judging a book by its cover. She doesn't know the content but she's sure she won't like it. I blame Junie B. Jones.

So on our trip to the library a couple of months ago, I stumbled upon this book. The Mother Daughter Book Club by Heather Vowel Fredrick. It's about mothers who start a book club to get their daughter to read classics. Guess what one of the titles was??? Much Ado About Anne. Finally, I thought to myself; she will read this book and fall in love with Anne.

Wrong! She still refuses to read Anne. Maybe someday, she will finally read Anne. The saga continues.