Thursday, November 1, 2012

NaBloPoMo 2012: Tweet Others as You Would Like to Be Tweeted

 Today the writing prompt is what is your favorite quotation and why? I love the Golden Rule, it is my favorite quote "Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself" which is words that I live by. It also for me goes hand in hand with "Speak when spoken to" both things I grew up being taught. I live out these words in my daily life though I admit the practice of the second is a bit dodgy at times.

For five years now Twitter has become a big part of my life. It has seen me through dark times, brought me new friends across the world, brought me countless amazing opportunities the past year and introduced me to new things.

My Twitter bio said "Treat others as you want to be treated yourself" until one my Tweeps @WeezyRider (Benjamin) told me it should say "Tweet others as you wanted to be tweeted yourself" and I immediately adopted the saying.

Lately, I have noticed a disturbing pattern on Twitter of this lacking on Twitter. People ignore tweets, don't tweet back, or even saying unkind things. It is rampant, everywhere I look on there it is happening. I've even seen people being bullied or made fun of. The simple solution is to unfollow those who bug you and move on. It's not right for adults to be making fun of other adults. The world has enough problems and this is a easy one to fix.

For me, it doesn't bother me what others think of me. Putting yourself out there on Twitter, blogging or any form of online social media puts you at risk. If someone online wants to be rude, then so be it. Really not worth wasting time on.

Simply saying, we could all easily bring a little kindness into the world of Twitter or the real world by being kind to others, not thinking more highly of ourselves over someone else and being kind. It's not hard to do and the benefits you reap are worth it. I know it has benefited me greatly over the years and I have many a friend in the world. In fact, some would say that I have too many friends. I say nah, there is always room for one more.