Saturday, November 13, 2010

When your friends have kids

I never really imagined this part of my life. I always imagined getting married, I always wanted children, I had a nephew very young and didn't imagine that part of my life. But, I never imagined that my friends kids would be such a huge part of my life.

Growing up, my parents had a good friend Jim Fitz and he was a huge part of our lives. He was my sisters youth minister and eventually just became family. He was a playmate of sorts for Carrie and I, always at our house and being himself ( You really have to know him). When I got older, I babysat his kids and they were the first non family kids that I loved like my own. Jim and his wife Jen were there for me in high school giving me a job, teaching me how to drive, picking me up from school. Their kids were in my wedding and they were there for me then. They were a huge part of my life growing up.

It never occured to me that someday, I would get to have the privilege of being a part of kids lives. We have been able to have several close family friends with kids. We have been able to see them grow up along with our children. I love them all so much, they are like nieces and nephews to me. It is fun to know them and have relationships with them.

We love seeing Zak and Liv's plays, tonight we watched Maddie go to her first dance and on her first date. On Monday, we got to meet baby Chloe a new addition to my friend Heather's family. We have seen our homeschooling friends graduate kids. I love going on Facebook and seeing pictures of friends kids or reading some of their moms blog about them.

What a unexpected blessing in life and I am grateful to have the experience!